Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Rational Mind

So yesterday, when I'd had one high temperature and before this morning's disappointing temp dip, I mentioned to my husband that if I had in fact ovulated, then I would be in that fuzzy maybe-I'm-pregnant-maybe-I'm-not phase this comming Sunday. That is, Superbowl Sunday. And we're going to a party with a bunch of his co-workers, many of whom have seen me drink in the past, and beer is going to be one of the few things that host can actually provide for us, and dammit it's football and football and beer go together like graham crackers and butter. (Yes, I realize I'm probably alone on that one.) Now, I know that, generally speaking, alcohol during the so-called 2WW is pretty harmless; if there's a zygote, it's not implanted yet, and it's certainly not getting nutrients (and bad stuff) from your blood stream. The only potential issue I've heard about with regard to alcohol during that time is that, for some women, it may impede implantation. I asked the doctor about this at my most recent appointment (last summer), and she said it was fine to keep drinking up until a positive pregnancy test. She didn't say "within reason" but I like to think that my days of drinking Like That are over.

Anyway, I brought it up to my husband thinking he was going to do the typical man-thing that so many of my friends' husbands have done. That is, he would freak out and get all controlling and insist that not a drop of alcohol enter my system at any time that I am not niddah. I then expected that I would gently talk him down and make him realize that one beer or maybe two, over the course of several hours, at a time about one week past ovulation, would have no negative effect. What does he do, though? Does he go according to the plan?

Nope. He just wrinked his nose a little bit and said, "Huh? I thought that wouldn't matter at this point." Then, after an appropriate pause: "Of course, once you're pregnant, all bets are off."

This bodes well for my fuzzy-edged dreams of nursing sessions with a baby in one arm and glass of wine in the other hand...