Wednesday, March 16, 2005

First Visit

Doctor's visit today. I get to take Prometrium to end this cycle, starting last night. Next cycle I am supposed to take Fertility Blend. The doctor also said: "Don't lose any more weight!" It's such a lovely thing to hear.

When the next cycle hits 40-ish days (assuming I'm not pregnant, and let's just say I won't get my hopes up), I get to take Prometrium again and then schedule a round of Day 3 blood tests (FSH etc.) including a fasting glucose/insulin/whatever test. *THEN* we get to choose between metformin and clomid (or both). I think I'm ok with my current doc prescribing those for me, but anything beyond that and I'm talking to an RE first.

I have mentally decided that I'm doing no more than two months of Clomid alone and no more than three months total of Clomid (with or without metformin) before going to an RE. I will not let my doctor prescribe injectibles without at least an RE consult first. And I'm taking it as a good sign that we're going to do day 3 testing before moving to Clomid (I won't let her push Clomid on me for the cycle with the testing, which will be cycle #3...I want to see the test results first.) Which means, if I let cycles 2 and 3 go to about 45 days, I'm
not starting Clomid until late June.

The perk of that (only one I can think of at the moment) is that if the first cycle works (ha!) the kid would be due around my mother's birthday. As Ezra is already under strict orders to provide ONLY girl-sperm (yes, this is me being silly, put down the whack-stick), naming will be a non-issue. Yay.

The Prometrium (30 capsules, which means that theoretically I have enough to reset six cycles this way) was covered by insurance. On our Schedule of Benefits, our PPO claims that they cover "diagnostic services, surgical procedures, surgical impregnantion, and prescription drugs." But under the Prescription Drug Benefits section, "a charge for oral and injectible fertility medication" is on the list of charges that the benefit will not cover. The only way I can manage to reconcile those two is that fertility drugs need to be counted separately so they can rack up your $10K lifetime maximum. Hmmm...I wonder if my Prometrium counts toward that? It's not (technically speaking) a fertility med; in fact, as I understand it progesterone supplements are commonly used to treat PCOS even where the patient is not actively trying to get pregnant. (Of course I understand that...I used them for about four years!)