Friday, December 03, 2004

dream

(I don't think there's any point in trying to title these dreams.)

Last night I dreamed that we adopted a little African-American boy. I picked him up from the hospital and his arms were very scrawny, so he couldn't have been that old yet, or maybe he was malnourished. (Dingdingding, latent racism in my head). Yet...he had a significant amount of hair, styled in a cross between cornrows (more racism) and those top-of-the-head ponytails that people put their little boys' hair in if they are not cutting it in anticipation of an upsherin. We didn't have a carseat or anything to put the baby in (come to think of it, I'm not sure my husband was even there with me), so I put him (lying down) into the child seat portion of a shopping cart and wheeled him home...

...only I don't think we ever went home. We definitely rode the subway, and even transfered between lines a few times. I think we rode one line too far at some point, and then had to wait a long time for another train to come to take us back to a station where we could transfer to the right traiin to take us home, and I wanted to just walk to the other station but I couldn't get the shopping cart up the stairs. I don't remember much else, except holding the baby in my arms eventually and having him grow rapidly until he looked like he was 15 or 18 months old. And loving him, a lot.