Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Cycle 3, Day 3

OK, so this sample was drawn on 9 June, and I got my results about two weeks later, which was a week ago, but I'm lazy.

Fasting Insulin: 6 - - a little high but not strictly insulin resistant
LH: 19.6 - - normal range for day three is 1.9 - 12.5
FSH: 5.8 - - normal range for day three is 2.5 - 10.2, with higher numbers indicating reduced ovarian reserve

LH:FSH ratio at this point in my cycle should be 1:1. It's actually about 3.3:1. That's a huge red flag for PCOS. The slightly high insulin level is another PCOS marker, as I understand it.

Estradiol (E2): 36 - - normal range is 0 to 212, with low numbers indicating better receptivity to stimulators

The doctor also ran my lipids. Total cholesterol 168, triglycerides 54, HDL 61, LDL 96. All those numbers are down, which is good as to the triglycerides and LDL, not so good as to HDL. I got a stern talking-to (complete with whipping sounds) about exercising more. Which is to say, exercising at all.

I also walked away with a metformin prescription. 500 mg/day with dinner for one week, then step it up to 500 mg twice per day (breakfast and dinner). Come in in September if charts indicate no ovulation and I haven't had a cycle. Definitely re-evaluate in December, same. We'll probably move on to Clomid if the metformin doesn't work by December (six months), though I think I'll ask about upping the dose a bit first.