Monday, March 13, 2006

Clomid Love

So far I've taken three of my five Clomid doses for this cycle. (I pop them before bed each night.) I had a definite indication that the pills were doing something after the seocond dose, as I woke up yesterday with a piercing, persistent headache. That. Would. Not. Go. Away. Right behind my eyes, though there were no accompanying vision problems. And today at work I am feeling quite warm, though the relative reactions of my co-workers to the ambient temperature today leads me to believe that it is, in fact, on the toastier side at my office.



Ezra and I had some wonderful conversations about Clomid side effects over the weekend. I was listing them off for him on Sunday, after my headache started: "migraines, hot flashes/feeling warm, bloating, increased appetite, fatigue, crankiness, mood swings--" "So," he interrupted me, "aside from the headache today, you'll be your usual self?"

Later that day, as we were driving through some evening fog, we remarked on how hard it was to see an adequate distance in front of us, and how the blurry lights of the other vehicles was making driving a little harder. A few minutes later, I resumed our Clomid side effects discussion (OK, so it was rather one-sided) by telling Ezra, "Blurry vision is another potential side effect. it's rare, but supposedly if you get that one it's very serious and you're supposed to stop the medication right away and call your doctor, like, five minutes ago. Ezra gazed at me for a moment, blinked, and said, "You know, Robbie, it's not really foggy outside."

Oh, I love that man.



But back to the real Clomid annoyances...I have a question. It's a little gross, but I expect sturdy stomachs from a group of women who banter about dildocams and pussy pops. Anyway, I know that Clomid reportedly creates hostile cervical mucus, and some doctors (including mine) recommend guaifenisen to counteract this side effect. (I'm going to start taking that tomorrow.) But, in the meantime, I'm just as confused as hell by the gobs of stuff coming out of my vagina. See, I never really had much cervical mucus to speak of in the first place. And I never ovulated, so it almost never changed texture from its usual state, somewhere between watery and lotiony. But, BUT - today I am dealing with a lovely pile (yes, pile) of thick lumpy white stuff. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect I have a yeast infection, but I know better, and I don't. So, um...is this at all normal?



And an update on the mikvah front: I will in fact be going this coming Friday night, and the attendant managed to talk me down from most of my stress.

Labels:

At 2:14 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Not really sure about the discharge. I never had much on 50 mg. but then again it didn't do much for me either. I just started day one of 100 mg so I guess I will see what that has to do for me. I'm not looking forward to the headache aspect. However, I guess if it works it will all be worth it.

 
At 4:07 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

My doctor (regular ob/gyn) had never heard of guafenesin and waved away the article from a medica journal I showed her. Some internet sources say it's unproven. I didn't buy any while I was in Canada. I try to limit self-medicating.

If you had a yeast infection, I think you would know. Those itch like crazy.

I'm sorry you're having side effects.

 
At 10:27 AM, March 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually got amazing eggwhite cervical mucus while on clomid, better than ever before. I asked the doctor how that could be when clomid was supposed to do the opposite, and she didn't really have an explanation, except that whatever the clomid was doing was working!

 
At 12:54 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

I had some bizarre mucus while on Clomid, and I do believe sticky clumps were involved at some point. I think when your body is as anovulatory as yours or mine, the secretions just get a little wacky when things finally start happening.

I had the blurry vision a few times, but only at the highest doses of Clomid. It was the most bizarre thing...not like the kind of blurriness you experience when you take off your glasses or your eyes are tired, but rather, it was like those special effects you see in movies where you can see a trail of the images as you move your head from side to side. Hard to explain, but you'll definitely know when it's Clomid blurriness.

Also, I just want to thank you so much for leaving such thoughtful, supportive comments these past few days. They helped tremendously.

 
At 1:30 PM, March 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always gotten really good cervical mucus while taking guaifenesin, so I take it when I'm on Clomid just in case (though I don't when I'm not taking Clomid). It's not going to do any harm to take it and I'd hate to find out too late that my mucus was awful if I didn't take it. Don't know about yours, though I hope it's promising!

Thanks for reminding me about the bloating and increased appetite. I've gained 3 lb in the last week after taking my 100 mg Clomid and couldn't remember if that was a side effect.

The side effects are awful. Absolutely awful. I just posted about them also.

I hope that your houseguest is a little more clueless than he should be, and can't figure out what's going on. I can completely understand not feeling comfortable sharing all of this with others.

 
At 2:34 PM, March 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ovulating on metformin alone and I get a sticky, white opaque clumpy cervical fluid AFTER I've ovulated. I get a translucent sticky cervical fluid about 4-7 days before I ovulate. If you've already ovulated then the monitoring they are doing should detect that. It's worth mentioning to the doctor or nurse when you see them.

 

Speak up!

<< Home