Friday, January 15, 2010

The Ripple Effect

Never ever ever underestimate the impact that a person can have on others, or the memories of even non-elephants, or the kindness that can come from the combination of the two.

The records person from my mom's gyn office called me back. "The name was kind of ringing a bell" and "I showed the file to Dr. Sweetness" and "Then I realized who you were and we were crying, oh you have no idea, but your mother touched us all so much!" She wanted permission to pass my phone number along to Dr. Sweetness ("she wants to call and chat") and insisted on not charging me the (pretty steep) copying fee for my mother's chart.

It was all just what I needed to hear while prepping Mom's feverish little namesake for a nap. Really. It brought tears to my eyes and I showered her with kisses while telling her that I hope she grows up to be as wonderful as the two women she is named for. Who very sweetly responded with: "Mommy? I just want to go straight for a nap."

Labels: , ,

At 6:35 PM, January 16, 2010, Blogger persephone said...

*sniffling*

 
At 7:05 PM, January 16, 2010, Blogger electriclady said...

Aw. So nice to hear something like that no matter how much time has passed.

 
At 2:55 PM, January 18, 2010, Blogger Lut C. said...

Wow, that's very moving.

 
At 4:27 PM, February 07, 2010, Blogger projgen said...

Wow, that is so cool. I was very close to my grandmother, and when she died, people came out of the woodwork to tell me how wonderful she was. I didn't know she had done *anything* for anyone else, other than some volunteering, so it was really special to hear how she affected other people. It's nice that you got to experience that.

And hey, at least the kid didn't fight you to nap :)

 
At 12:23 AM, August 22, 2010, Anonymous william said...

*sniffling*

 

Speak up!

<< Home