Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Plan

My doctor has now suggested starting Clomid at least twice. I've had a few people ask me why my doctor is "forcing" me to take metformin and advise me to "push her to prescribe Clomid" and I feel the need to defend the doc a bit and claim responsibility. It has been very difficult for me to put it off, but all the studies say that metformin can take up to six months to show that it's working (after six months, if it doesn't do it for you it probably won't) and I'm trying to be all laid back and go-with-the-flow on this...which is so very un-me...

...and even though Clomid is deemed "safe," there are terms floating around out there like "ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome" (which, as I understand, can destroy your reproductive system and even be fatal) that give me the willies. I realize that the link between ovarian stimulation drugs and ovarian cancer is purely correlational, not causational, but my mom died of ovarian cancer, I have an elevated risk, and I'd much rather cut the ovaries some slack early on in the game.

Plus, I'm still young, I'm early on in my career, we have a lot of exciting things going on (like a new home), and I just don't feel any now-or-never pressure. Yet. We wanted to get an early start, because we assumed that it could take years for us to have our first child, so we waited until the first possible "ready" moment and jumped. For the next half-year or so, I think we have enough to keep us busy that we can maintain this wait-and-see attitude. As me again in the spring, though, and I should be much antsier.