Friday, March 17, 2006

Blind Date

This morning, I had my first date with the dildocam. It was really nothing terrible (not that I thought it would be). I told the tech that it was my first transvaginal ultrasound ever, and so she was very patient and explained (almost) everything we saw on the monitor. "Here you can see your uterus." "No, maybe you can see my uterus. I see a blurry Rorshach print."

She didn't actually count follicles - apparently at this point my clinic just categorizes each ovary as having 0, 1-4, 5-9, or 10+. I was at 10+ on both sides. The biggest follicle on the right was about 10 mm, and the biggest on the left was about 7 mm, so no other sizes were recorded (they only record follicles that are 12 mm or bigger). I had some blood drawn and I was on my way less than half an hour after walking in through the clinic door. Blood test results and further instructions should be in after 3 PM. In the meantime, any insightful comments about the follicle situation would be much appreciated.

I also begin using OPKs today. This should be a fun experience, as I got the kind that you dip into a cup, and I am the biggest klutz ever. Why did I get the dip-strip kind, you ask? Well, it came 20 tests to a box, so I figured: Perfect! I can buy one box and use it for two or three cycles. What a money-saver! Only, upon opening the box last night and reading through the instructions, I learned that once you break the seal on the little canister holding the strips, they are good for only thirty days. Bah.

Labels:

At 9:22 AM, March 17, 2006, Blogger EJW said...

I love the 8am appointment. No Smug Pregnants in the waiting room, no long wait that forces me to read Parenting magazine, and everyone is so nice. Yesterday I got in 15 minutes early and was out of there and back to work right on time.

 
At 9:31 AM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

8 AM? Ha! I walked in at 7:06! By 8:00 I was almost at work. That has to be the upside of these early morning visits - I'll never be late to work on those days, as long as I can get the early appointment slot.

 
At 3:58 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger persephone said...

I should let someone who knows more about PCOS talk about follicles. I'm guessing that the 10+ is not that surprising, the question will be how many of those reach mature size -- hopefully not too many and not too few. Do you have another ultrasound scheduled to check on them as they progress?

As far as standard numbers, they tend to grow 2mm a day, and 18mm is usually mature. But again I don't know whether or how PCOS typically affects the growth pattern.

As for OPKs, heh. Those can be tricky b@stards. If you find they're not working for you, please don't waste time on them, get another brand. The frustration of not being sure you can read the results sometimes outweighs any money you're saving...

 
At 5:29 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger moo said...

Hey Robber..I don't know too much about PCOS...but your numbers sound great to me, no matter what! I'm hopeful that this goes verrry smoothly for you. Best W, Moo

 
At 2:59 AM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Welcome to the dildocam sisterhood! Now that I'm on my 80 billionth ultrasound, I think I can vaguely make out the uterus, but I still confuse one of my leg arteries for a mutated ovary.

Was this a day 12 ultrasound? If so, I think these numbers could be promising, as I have had cycles where I did not have a decent sized (around 18mm) follicle until around day 17 or so. However, there have been other cycles where 11mm by day 12 was the largest the follicles got, and then they started shrinking back down. I'm sorry I can't give you a more definitive response. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the OPK will be giving you the go-ahead soon!

Oh, and don't worry about having too many follicles in your ovaries. Every ultrasound I have has shown at least 15-20 follicles per ovary, and it's never been a big deal with any of my docs.

 
At 8:49 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Rhea said...

Well, at least the clomid's done. I know, it sucks! The s/e are CRAZY! The numbers sound pretty good. I agree with the OPK's, you may actually want to get a different brand and use them with that brand for comparison purposes.

Good luck on this cycle!

 
At 11:07 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Sophia said...

Just an FYI: What you bought suck big time. The only upside was that I kept the canister and bought dipstrip OPKs on websites (early-pregnancy-tests and testsforless). Clearer lines and cheaper prices

Lurker on the TTC Journey but from A VERY different background

 

Speak up!

<< Home