Saturday, April 08, 2006

Two, two, two jabs in one!

One day, that is. And two pregnancy announcements. From two close friends. Admittedly, one of them recently had a miscarriage, and has not heard the heartbeat yet for this pregnancy...but she gave me the news with her almost-two-year-old toddler running around the room, and prefaced by, "Well, since you've just given me all your fertility updates, let me give you mine." (And shortly after she had asked whether Ezra and I have considered adoption. Adoption! Why didn't I think of that? it's so easy!) I know she's nervous as all hell about this pregnancy, but it still stung a bit. And then, after I got home, friend #2 called to say they're expecting their first in October. Friend #2 also knows about our infertility

I am truly happy for both couples involved, but it stung a bit. In honor of the news, we are putting a new outgoing message on our answering machine:
Hi! You've reached the Barren Household. To tell us that you're expecting a child, press 1. To commiserate about infertility because it took you three months to conceive said child, press 2. If you think you are suffering fom secondary infertility because your first child has just celebrated his first birthday, and you're not yet pregnant again, press 3. If you'd like to share your advice on how to conceive, including basal temperature charting, OPKs, sexual position, and bedtime cocktails, press 4. If you want to know why we don't "just adopt," press 5. If you want to complain about your own children, offer them to us for a week, or tell us that we should enjoy this childfree time while it lasts, kindly hang up and go step into traffic. We will return your call as soon as possible, or never.

(with many thanks to persephone fo her help with the answering machine message)

Labels:

At 12:37 AM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAHAHAHAHAAHAH. That's totally classic. We need a message like hat.

 
At 1:27 AM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Maya said...

I absolutely love it. I would also love to add a caller ID message that says PISS OFF.

 
At 6:48 AM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

I have to get me an answering machine now! Just so I can put a message like that on it. :-D

 
At 9:29 AM, April 09, 2006, Blogger x said...

I think you had been giving your friend your infertility updates, not fertility updates. Too bad that seems to have been above her head, she could have used a bit more tact.

 
At 10:47 AM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It stinks when people have no idea how to be tactful. Although it also stinks that it hurts to hear other pregnancy announcements even when they are tactful.

I love your new message. I need to do that also!

 
At 10:54 AM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

OK, to be fair to Friend #1, she wasn't exactly tactless in her "announcement" - and she was (and is) very nervous. I'm not even sure she used the word "fertility," come to think of it; it may have been more like "Well, since you shared, I'll share too." The stinginess was in part because I had to put on a happy/worried face on the spot (since we were talking in person), and then retroactive due to Friend #2's announcement.

 
At 1:23 PM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that message! Completely inspired.

I'm sorry about the cluster of announcements -- it always seems to happen that way, doesn't it?

 
At 5:08 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

If only we could not only put this on our answer phones, but on our foreheads...

 
At 4:56 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That messsage is fabulous! Thanks for the smile! :)

 
At 10:36 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Ugh, two pregnancy announcements in one day. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but at least it doesn't seem to have affected your sense of humor. That answering machine message is fantastic! I was reading it with that Moviefone announcer's voice in my head, and it cracked me up to no end!

 
At 4:45 AM, April 11, 2006, Blogger Lioness said...

Hi RB, thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I assume you came via Persephone. So sorry you had to go through today.

 
At 3:10 PM, April 11, 2006, Blogger Linda said...

This message should come in a standard package with Jenn's Declaration of Infertility and be mailed out to every household in the world. Maybe then we could really start the education process!

 
At 5:06 AM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously want to re-do my voicemail now. Both at home AND on the cell phone. Classic!

 
At 11:33 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger ninaB said...

Ouch. That's tough. Of course it stings, even if you are happy for them.
Can we add "Press 6 if you are good and infertile and would like to commiserate"?

 
At 9:59 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Lisa said...

If you're calling to tell us to relax, please hang up and never speak to us again!

Great answering machine message.

 
At 10:44 PM, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn ... it'll be a long time before I talk to anyone battling infertility again!

 
At 4:39 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Melzie said...

I love the msg! Maybe I can not smirk and put it on our phone... ;)

 
At 6:51 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

At 10:44 PM, April 17, 2006, Anonymous said...

damn ... it'll be a long time before I talk to anyone battling infertility again!


Look, Anon, it's an infertility blog. This is the type of post I'm going to write, and it's the tpe of post you should not be surprised to see here or on any other IF blog. If you don't want to read stuff like this, then go find another corner of the blogosphere to inhabit. And if you just can't tear yourself away from this stuff, then at least have the common decency to (1) put a name and some accountability to your snark comments, or (2) shut up entirely.

 
At 10:24 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger beagle said...

Since I'm still so "in the closet" about infertility this would just puzzle most of the people we know, but I would secretly LOVE to put this on our machine!

(Besides it might get rid of a few telemarketers too!)

Great post!

 
At 4:35 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robbie dear, this is a *public* infertility blog, and, as such, I feel that hate speech is inappropriate. I would react the same way if you were attacking Hispanic immigrants for "stealing" your job or rich people
for inheriting money.

Your anger is justified, but it is misdirected and dangerous.

 
At 10:15 AM, April 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only we could not only put this on our answer phones, but on our foreheads...
A T-shirt might be easier than a tattoo :)

 

Speak up!

<< Home