Sunday, April 02, 2006

Clomid Round Two: Bust

Nurse NoName called a few minutes ago to say that "it looks like the Clomid just isn't working for you." Well, yes, I pretty much figured that out when this morning's Dildocam Pimp told me that I had lots of little follicles on both sides, but nothing measureable. It's a good thing I had my blood drawn before the ultrasound, since I could barely hold my composure on the walk from the u/s room to the door of the clinic and then to my car. I called Ezra right away, and I thought that maybe I'd be able to make it home all right, but I heard the disappointment in his voice (I'm sorry dear, I know you tried to hide it) and just lost it as soon as I hung up the phone. It's a good thing the roads were mostly clear, as things got blurry a few times on the drive back.

Numbers, just for the record:
E2 - 37.3 (down from Wednesday's 43)
LH - 21.4
Progesterone - 0.7

For lack of anything better, I've decided to call this nurse: Nurse Kid Gloves. She always sounds so sorry to give me bad news, even on our very first phone call when she told me I wasn't pregnant (well, duh, I'd just had my intial consult at a fertility clinic). Anyway, Nurse Glovely instructed me to call Nurse Space Cadet tomorrow to discuss the "next step," which she thinks may be injectibles. No surprise there.

Ezra and I are going to be away for almost two weeks in the middle of April for Passover, and both this week and the week after our trip are going to be very busy for both of us at work. So it looks like the entire month of April is a wash - we probably can't even have a follow-up appointment until May. I'm wondering how much lag-time there will be between that appointment and when I can start an injectibles cycle; obviously I have to get my period first, but if otherwise I can start shooting up within a few days of my appointment, then maybe I can start the Provera ahead of time.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go drown my sorrows in chocolate. Or wine. Or both.

Labels:

At 1:39 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger EJW said...

I'm so sorry the Clomid didn't work. Sucks sucks sucks.

 
At 2:25 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

So sorry that this didn't work for you. I hope injectibles will be easy to happen quickly.

With an LH that high, are you about to ovulate from one of those tiny follicles??

 
At 2:34 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Thalia - Nurse Glovely didn't say anything about possible ovulation. She just told me (as I was told after my last try with Clomid) that with PCOS, I'm likely to alkways have an elevated LH level.

I'd imagine that anything coming out of one of those follicles would be way too immature to do any good, though. Right? Is there something I'm missing?

 
At 2:43 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

No, I can't imagine that you're missing something.

I'm sorry this course of treatment didn't help for you. I imagine injectibles are in my immediate future as well. I'm not looking forward to learning to give myself shots, but am looking forward to trying something new.

 
At 3:48 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Crap, I'm so sorry that Clomid was a bust. They say that about 95% of women who don't respond to Clomid will definitely respond to injectibles, so I'm sure it will be the answer for you. In the mean time, drown your sorrow in as much chocolate and wine as you can handle. You deserve every indulgent bite and sip.

 
At 4:31 PM, April 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry...bad cycle for both of us, huh? Taking cycles off really stinks also. It feels like such a waste of time.

And I didn't get to post the other day, but I'm really sorry about your dad's responses. I don't think I could have kept my composure. Oh yes, just deal with the fact that the world can get pregnant on a whim but you have to take all sorts of evil medicines that have horrible side effects. Yes, "just dealing with it" sounds like the perfect plan.

I've talked to friends who've been on Clomid and done injectibles and almost every one of them says that injectibles were better than Clomid. Not just in terms of working, but also the side effects. I hope you find that to be the case for you also.

 
At 4:51 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger persephone said...

I'm sorry, Robbie. I have high hopes for Plan B, but that doesn't make the scrapping of Plan A any less painful.

 
At 12:06 AM, April 03, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

Ugh. So sorry. It's so disappointing to not even get a shot.

And I find the combination of a nice glass of red wine with some very dark chocolate to be particularly effective.

 
At 2:26 PM, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that Clomid is a whore for you. Hopefully you can start injectables rather soon.

 

Speak up!

<< Home