Sunday, July 23, 2006

Didn't mean to frighten you

"It's a little late for that!"

Sorry for the lack of update since Friday's appointment. All is well, I've just had a busy weekend, in between fits of pregnancy-induced narcolepsy. We saw Dr. McFly again on Friday, a mere seventy minutes or so past our scheduled appointment time. He was in scrubs, so there was no indiscreetly unfastened crotch-flap to distract us. I had a quick transvaginal u/s first to check my cervix (still long and closed up tight) and then he switched to the abdominal transducer. With my pants still off and my lower body still covered by a mere flimsy paper sheet. Which normally wouldn't bother me, but...well, I'll get there. Anyway, Baby B (placenta attached on the upper left) was bouncing all over the place and turning occasional somersaults (showoff!), so it was fairly easy to capture an image of the back of her (totally guessing here) neck to get the measurement.

Baby A (lower right), on the other hand, was asleep. On his back. (Again guessing at the sex; we didn't see anything.) So Dr. McFly whacked on my belly with the transducer, and when that didn't work he tried it a few times more (pretty hard) in an attempt to wake the kid up, or at least jog him into a better position. Ezra asked if that sort of thing actually worked, to which the good doctor responded, "Not usually," before giving me another firm thwap for good measure. It actually made me giggle a bit (when I wasn't thinking about the fact that it hurt), and Dr. McFly said that that may wake the kid up. He threatened to tell silly jokes to get me to laugh some more, and just the thought of that made me giggle again, but no dice. So then he had me roll way over to the left, then back and to the right. Not too much of a problem, except remember the part where my lower body is covered only by a flimsy paper sheet? Yeah, that would be my ass hanging out in the wind. And while I really don't have a problem showing off my vulva and associated girl parts to anyone in scrubs or a lab coat, my butt is private business. So each roll started with a tilt of just about fifteen degrees. "No, roll further." Thirty degrees, tugging the sheet a bit in the opposite direction so as not to moon Ezra. "No, you really need to roll all the way." Sixty degrees, maybe? And now the medical student in the room can see my pregnancy-induced butt-acne. "All the way, please?" Fine, up on my hip, a full ninety degrees, and could you please shut that window? It's drafty in here. Return to my back, and repeat the same on m y right side. This evenutally seemed to do the trick, though Baby A did not appear to be in a happy mood after being awoken from his slumber (would you be?) and probably settled back into sleep within a few minutes. But we got a measurement of the area behind his neck, and for now that's all that counts. Besides, I don't think I'll coomplain much if one of the babies turns out to be easy to put to sleep.

Holy crap, did I call them babies this whole time?

Anyway, both nuchal folds measured fairly thin. We don't get actual numbers until my blood test results come in at the end of this week, but Dr. McFly estimates that the adjusted risk for cardiac problems, Down Symdrome, and certain other trisomies will be very low. It's a major relief, and I think that just maybe I'll be able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy a bit more now.



In a mostly unrelated matter, I came across these Letters to the Editor in the New York Times from some number of days back, in response to an article about President Bush's veto of the bill that would have expanded federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, specifically allowing for the creation of new lines from embryos created through IVF that the couples in question would otherwise discard. One letter in particular struck a cord:
To the Editor:

As a nurse and health care provider for the last 30 years, I have always been concerned with the ethical issues surrounding health care. I am confused by the argument that the stem cell research bill has violated President Bush’s principles on the sanctity of human life.

To me, the debate regarding the sanctity of human life should begin with the whole concept of in vitro fertilization. I am not opposed to in vitro fertilization, but we must admit that we have already crossed the line between science and ethics with this technology.

It is disingenuous to support in vitro fertilization and not support stem cell research. With in vitro fertilization, precious health care dollars are spent creating embryos to satisfy individuals’ selfish need for children who match their own DNA. There are so many adoptable children already born into this world that it seems immoral to create “adoptable embryos.”

The ethical and moral obligation lies with saving lives, not saving potential lives.

JoAnne Gatti-Petito
Turnbull, Conn., July 20, 2006

I'm going to set aside the stem cell part of this letter and focus on those two sentences that I highlighted in bold. Could someone please tell me where all of these wonderful "adoptable children" who are "already born" are, so we can get them to some desperate infertile couples posthaste? If there's such an overabundance of these children, it seems downright unthinkable that the process of adoption for an infant (or young toddler) takes something like two years for international adoptions and three years for domestic U.S. adoptions. Not to mention that it's not free, not by a long shot, and the few lucky infertile couples who do have coverage for fertility treatment under their health insurance plans often have no such financial assistance for the adoption process.

And note that it's only a few, in the grand scheme of things, who have that medical coverage - most fertility treatment in this country is paid for out-of-pocket, and I doubt those "precious health care dollars" (read: life savings and second mortgages) would be going for other forms of health care. More likely those funds would go toward the not-so-cheap adoption process.

Finally, who the hell are you to tell us that we are "selfish" for wanting children who share our DNA? Are we any more selfish than the 85% or so of the population who reproduce with abandon and at will, at no expense to themselves greater than a couple of cocktails and a flimsy negligee to set the mood? Why must the burden to adopt (and here I'm sure the writer is thinking of the children with debilitating diseases, the sibling groups from abusive homes, the abandoned teenagers who'd otherwise be raised by gangs, because the shiny new heathly newborns are certainly in short supply) - why must that burden fall to the infertile? What makes me any more selfish than my friend down the block who also is pregnant with her first child? I, and most other infertile people, suffer from diagnosed and often treatable medical conditions through no fault of our own. (I will not touch the topic of vas reversals and such here. I don't feel that those couples are an less deserving, but it's beside my basic point, which is...) Should we deny coverage for chemotherapy and radiation treatment, because cancer is "natural" and the desire to extend one's life is "selfish?" How about prenatal care for fourth, fifth, and sixth pregnancies? After all, that's more than one couple's fair share of children in this world. (The replacement rate for "developed" countries is about 2.1 live births per woman.)

I know that one sentence was not the main thrust of this woman's letter. Still, I can't help but let it get to me. I know how much it hurt me to read it, and I can't imagine the pain it may have caused so many others. And if my choice to pursue medical treatment in order to bring children into this world - children who share a genetic link to me and my husband, whose prenatal health and earliest days I can control to the best of my ability - if that makes me selfish, than so be it.

Labels:

At 10:13 PM, July 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear that the nuchal went so well. Maybe Baby A will be the calm twin, while Baby B is going to be the hyper one. P's in utero personality was pretty much the same as he is now.

And thank you so much for that comment on the letter to the editor. Honestly, not a single public health dollar has been spent on my IF except in the diagnosis of my PCOS--which is a medical condition. I have every right to expect health insurance to cover that diagnosis. Frankly, I think I also have the right to expect health insurance to cover the treatment of that condition, to allow for normal biological functions (pregnancy and childbirth) to be achieved. I think your points were excellent.

By the way, if someone figures out where these free adoptable children are, can you send one over to my house?

 
At 11:27 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger art-sweet said...

RB,

I also posted my thoughts about that idiotic letter
"http://art-sweet.blogspot.com/2006/07/selfish.html">here
. A little quick google stalking reveals that Ms. GP has two kids. I wonder if they're adopted? Anyone want to place a bet?

 
At 11:27 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger art-sweet said...

p.s. yeah for the happy nuchal!

 
At 11:04 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

I'm so glad you blogged about that letter--it enraged me, too, and I couldn't put the words together to blog about it coherently. Also, the letter right after it suggested that there should be laws against the production of "surplus embryos" in IVF. (In fact, a bill has been submitted to the Kentucky state legislature that would outlaw fertilizing more than ONE embryo during IVF. !!!!) Anyone who read Julie's recent post and the comments from folks who have gone through IVF can see how ridiculous this is. Grr.

Okay, sorry for hijacking your comments, Robbie. Glad the nuchal scan went well!

 
At 4:13 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger miriamp said...

So glad to hear good news! I don't even know what a nuchal scan is, but if it means knowing there's a lower risk of abnormalities, that can only be a GOOD thing.

Anyway, on the letter you quoted, I for one am glad to live in a country where (unlike China, for instance) no
one is regulating my right to bear children, nor knocking on the door
and taking away the ones "over my fair share" to give to someone else to
raise, nor telling me that now I've had the ones covered by insurance
and I'm on my own, and while we're at it, that those who need it are allowed to pursue infertility treatments. (It would be nice if they were also affordable to all, but that's a different issue)

She's wrong (the author of the letter, of course) but you knew that.
Just letting you know that I agree with you. What the h___ does "we
have already crossed the line between science and ethics" mean, anyway?
What does science have to do with ethics? I could go on, about not
assuming infertile couples therefore "deserve" to take in troubled
children, etc., but I'd just be reaffirming that we agree. If it
really bothers her, she should go campaign on behalf of her "adoptable
children," to all families, and leave in-vitro out of it.

 
At 4:14 PM, July 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad everything is going well! My sons are now 3 (twin boys) and their personalities in the womb are still the same now! <3
HeavenLeigh

 
At 5:06 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

Fabulous news on the babes. I'm so happy for you. :-)

The letter, ugh. Just, ugh.
I say we start a Monty Python-esque campaign against the unnatural and selfish use of cancer treatment.

 
At 9:26 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger projgen said...

Yay for the scan and the butt-flash. Okay, not so much for the butt-flash ;)

I like the cancer analogy. It also works for older organ transplant candidates. Considering I was, yet again, just told to "just adopt" that analogy will come in handy. Thanks.

 
At 2:32 AM, July 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm so glad to see you doing so well in your pregnancy! I hope the next ultrasounds are only abdominal and they let you keep your pants on.
As for the article, the breadth and depth of that woman's ignorance are quite impressive, but she's not worth your time. Since I've been pregnant I've heard the most ridiculous judgmental comments from random people about everything having to do with having and raising children. I think that for some reason every parent in the world thinks he or she is an expert in everything having to do with having children. I just ignore them all. (Or sometimes enjoy a good laugh at them behind their backs!)

 
At 10:47 AM, July 26, 2006, Blogger April said...

RB,

I'm out of the blogging world for awhile - and come back to hear your wonderful news. Wow. So very happy for you. Here's hoping for a healthy and happy pregnancy.

 
At 8:25 PM, August 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First-time visitor here. First, congrats on your pregnancy. Second, I completely agree with your response to that letter.

 
At 5:12 PM, November 19, 2006, Blogger erinberry said...

The irritating thing is, people also tell me I'm selfish for adopting. We opted to do that instead of IVF, and still, with the rash of sensationalist articles about Guatemalan adoption recently, prospective adoptive parents are painted as rich, ignorant Americans who will do anything to get a baby.

You can never please people.

 

Speak up!

<< Home