Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Magic Number

186

Nurse Space Cadet called to deliver the news. Of course she called just when I was finally getting to the front of the mile-long lunchtime post office line, but with news like that - who cares? She started off with a hearty "Congratulations!" and told me how lucky we were to have this work on our first injectibles/IUI cycle. As if I didn't already know that, right? I finally fessed up and told her that I'd cheated by testing that morning, but I was quick to reassure her that the phone call was still totally thrilling.

Second beta is on Monday. Our first ultrasound is scheduled for June 20, which is at 6w4d. It's a little later than I would have liked, but Nurse Spacey said that two weeks from today (5w6d) would be too early, and that was the next available time when Dr. Quixotic could squeeze me in. I can live with the wait. I hope.

Hope. Yeah, I guess she was just redecorating. I may invite her upstairs to have dinner with us tonight, but I still would rather she sleep in the garage.

Dr. Q's official stance on the Crinone is that I can stop it now that I've had a positive pregnancy test, but I am welcome to continue it if I desire. I do so desire...I think. At least, that's what I told Nurse Spacey, and she suggested that I continue through the day of the ultrasound if it would make me feel better. Does anyone know a reason why I should not continue with this stuff? Aside from the disgusting residue that builds up in the Orchestra Pit, I mean.

And back to the number...Ezra and I are getting a little freaked out at how high it is. Isn't 186 at the very high end for a 13dpo test? Just how many little embryos do I have brewing in there?

Thank you all so much for celebrating with me this morning. It really made me feel better to be able to share with my imaginary friends, since we haven't told anyone in real life yet!

Labels: ,

At 2:11 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

Beautiful! I just couldn't be happier for you. Crack open some sparkling cider tonight and celebrate!

 
At 2:36 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - that's wonderful! Good luck!! BTW, in terms of the crinone, did they also test your progesterone level? My RE had me keep taking my progesterone suppository until my progesterone level had reached some number (I don't remember), which was around the time of my first ultrasound.
Again, best of luck!

 
At 2:37 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowowowowow! I am so very excited for you and Ezra. It certainly sounds like a fabulous number. I know my beta at 15dpo was 89, so it's a bit higher than that...but I wouldn't worry about multiples until you see the next one or have your u/s. Enjoy the Phish Food as celebration instead...you know, growing babies need their calcium!

 
At 3:38 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger DD said...

I think that's a very nice number for 13dpo; and no, I don't consider it high. Your 48hr beta will be more telling, but still iffy until the US.

This is really wonderful news, RB, and I couldn't be more tickled.

 
At 3:41 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger DD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:42 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger DD said...

Sorry about the delete: it was close to the same thing (as you'll see if you get your comments emailed to you); it's just that blogger seemingly ate my first comment and then it was there, and then...ah, forget it...

Congrats, again!

 
At 3:46 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger squarepeg said...

Tremendous!! I'm so happy for you and it's SO inspiring that things went so well on your first go!!!

Congratulations!

 
At 3:47 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger projgen said...

omigosh and holy cow! Congratulations, Robbie, that's awesome! What a way to enter the Chag. B'sha'a tova. Enjoy the phish food ;)

Chag sameach

 
At 4:02 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger EJW said...

I knew that HSG would do the trick for you. All that worry about the timing of the IUI and the wedding and look how wonderfully it worked out!

I'm so excited for you. The range on betas is so wide, I wouldn't worry about multiples until you see something.

Congrats, again!

 
At 4:36 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing of beta or progesterone numbers, but I am so amazingly thrilled for both you and Ezra. Hope must be looking beautiful now that she's decided to put on some new duds!

 
At 5:04 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Yes, yes, YES!! I'm so freakin' happy for you, Robbie! Congratulations!!! Do ya think this comment could have any more exclamation points?!

As for the beta number, by comparison, my first beta was 416. So I don't think it's too high (not triplets high, if that's what you're worried about). In fact, I think your number is just perfect!

 
At 5:12 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Sami said...

Congratulations! So very excited for you guys! Sounds like a great number!

 
At 5:14 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

YAY! Congrats!!!! And I don't think the beta is too high. My first beta was a few days later than yours, but even divided out for the 48 hour doubling time it is nearly double yours... and just a singleton growing in there. The range is soooo huge, I don't think you can really judge just by that alone.

 
At 5:16 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

Fantastic news, I'm delighted for you! 186 doesn't necessarily mean twins. It might, but it's not definite. There is a huge range of beta scores for singletons. You'll just have to wait for that scan!

 
At 5:22 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

What a lovely number! Congratulations!

 
At 5:54 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

WOW!!! Congratulations!

And thank you for sharing this with us. I for one needed to see an example like this.

 
At 7:28 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I opened up your page for the first time today, anticipating the POAS results, and saw:

The Magic Number

186


and tears of joy filled my eyes.

Then I read the next earlier post. Having already read the later post, at first it didn't have the same effect it might have had I been able to read it as top post, until I really concentrated. I did so, and realized what an amazing post that was; you share and celebrate the news of Persephone, and then, in a matter-of-fact manner, sneak in your own news, for which we have all been waiting.

What a wondeful time, so much delightful news leading up to Shavuot. May it all go smoothly for you, and, b'sha'ah tovah, may we all be celebrating the birth with you late next winter as the sap in the trees begins to run.

Have a blissful and restful chag.

 
At 8:53 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet! 186 rocks. I wouldn't worry about the number being too high - it's so variable that you aren't going to know for sure what's in there until you have your ultrasound. Ooh, how excited is Ezra? When are you telling your families?

 
At 9:57 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Dawn said...

Congratulations! What an awesome beta number..I'm thrilled for you!

 
At 11:58 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger moo said...

Robber!!! What terrific news! I am so happy for you and E.

xx moo

 
At 1:25 AM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, my dear! I don't have any advice on the Crinone, unfortunately, but I do know that the number sounds very good indeed.

 
At 9:46 AM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Such great news.

 
At 10:13 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger EAB said...

Oh, that's a very good number! I knowwhatchamean about being lucky on a first IUI -- that's what happened for us too. I feel a little guilty sometimes because it was "too easy", but mostly I just feel like a jackpot winner.

Twin betas go alllll over the place -- yes, you're maybe a little on the high end, but I wouldn't go buy the twin stroller yet or anything. No freakouts yet!

 
At 2:44 PM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

christ on a cracker woman, your page took forever to load. Like the time it takes for a pee stick to show a postitive!!

Congratulations!!!

 
At 3:10 PM, June 02, 2006, Blogger x said...

Now that you have the beta and the pee stick, I think that hope should come in just for diner - maybe make her sleep in the garage!

Have a great weekend!

 
At 10:37 PM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Meg said...

YAY! I just checked in again after a few days.. that's wonderful news!

 
At 12:33 AM, June 04, 2006, Blogger persephone said...

OH.

MY.

GD!!!

Love, Seph who is not supposed to be reading blogs from the hospital (I was never here! We never had this conversation)

 
At 5:35 AM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
university of hawaii online application na pali hiking permits abn amro mortgage co

 

Speak up!

<< Home