Friday, May 05, 2006

They Laugh In My General Direction

Contemptuously, even. Ultrasound this morning (CD 7, after three days of Follistim at 37.5 units) reveals "lots of little follicles." The biggest on either side was around 7 mm. I'm hoping that they plan to up my dose a little, because that's just pathetic. I had a blood draw also, and I should get my E2 level with this afternoon's phone call.

Actually, the dosing is a bit weird. They chose the number when I was still supposed to get Gonal-F, and the Gonal-F pen dials in 37.5 unit increments. However, I was switched to Follistim, and that pen has numbered markings every 25 units, with incremental clicks in between and two markings (at about eight units each, I guess?) between each number and the next. So I've been trying to line up the dial right between 25 and 50, but there's a slight chance I've been overdosing by just a teensy bit. Then again, I think I may have removed the needle too quickly after Wednesday night's shot, since the skin was a bit damp afterwards (and it wasn't from the alcohol, I'm sure), so it all balances out. Right? In any case, moving up to 75 units should eliminate this issue.

Update to come.
Update: Nurse Kid Gloves called and told me to keep my dose the same for tonight and tomorrow night. She said that they are keeping it low in order to minimize the risk of multiples and/or hyperstimulation. I go back for monitoring on Sunday, which is going to make for a very long, tiring day, as after the appointment I have to drive three and a half hours to a bridal shower in another state and then reverse it all that evening. At least if my next monitoring was on Monday I could do some of the driving tomorrow night, but...oh well. And stupid me forgot to ask for my E2 level.



I spoke with a pharmacist yesterday, who assured me that I can pick up more needle tips (for free) when I'm in the building on Monday, and that I can transport my already-pierced Follistim at room temp or chilled, since either way it lasts for only twenty-eight days after you first use the cartridge. I'll probably keep it in a cooler in the car this Sunday just to be safe (no need to risk it baking in a patch of sunlight), but that was somewhat reassuring to hear.



And on a related note, Monday (as opposed to today) was definitely the better HSG-scheduling option, both cycle-wise and work-wise. Plus, it gives me a whole extra 72 hours to freak out about it!



And on a mostly unrelated note: Ornery's got two little gestational sacs growing! Yay!

Labels:

At 11:03 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

I'm following your cycle really closely in hopes of getting some clues as to what I'm in for next cycle...hope an increased dosage does the trick and your ovaries wake up and join the party.

Good luck with the HSG Monday--here's hoping for a radiologist with a gentle touch and perfect-looking films.

 
At 12:44 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

You're so sweet for mentioning my news on your blog! Thanks for that.

Although I completely understood my RE's rationale for the "low and slow" Follistim protocol, it still drove me absolutely batty, especially when ultrasound after ultrasound revealed absolutely no follicular growth, just lots more tiny follicles. It was just so frustrating because the cycle seemed to take FOREVER, and I was starting to fear that my ovaries were so crappy that they couldn't even respond properly to injectibles.

But once the dosing was right and the timing was right (I'm pretty sure that, for me, my ovaries refuse to cooperate until at least 10 days into the cycle), everything started to move very quickly. So, sadly, I can only repeat the words of my RE: "Low and slow is the name of the game, and patience is the only thing that will get you through it." However, I would also like to add that you can still be patient while also feeling frustrated and pissed off as hell. So definitely vent if you need to. We're here for you!

Good luck with the Follistim, and with Monday's HSG!

 
At 12:21 AM, May 06, 2006, Blogger Finding My New Normal said...

I had an HSG yesterday! It was oh so fun. And today I was ultra super crampy which made my day even extra more fun. Good luck!

 
At 10:09 AM, May 07, 2006, Blogger ninaB said...

I have boatloads of needle tips I could have sent you! I only needed one for each pen so we've amassed quite a collection.
Hope the next US shows good progress.

 

Speak up!

<< Home