Monday, November 13, 2006

The Good and the Bad

My bloodwork from my last OB appointment came back on Thursday. The good news: my one-hour blood glucose level was a perfectly normal 118, so no gestational diabetes for me! I suppose there's a chance my doctor will want to re-test me in another six weeks or so just to be sure I haven't developed it, but given that this number wasn't even borderline, and also given that I have another dozen weeks of pregnancy, tops, before these kids come out, I don't think it's likely.

Not-as-great: I'm anemic. I didn't even bother asking for the actual number over the phone, though I'll probably get that information at my next appointment. I've been prescribed a supplement containing 150 mg of elemental iron, along with 1 mg of folic acid and some B12 (I forget how much and I'm too lazy to look it up now). let's try that again: 150 mg of iron. You could pick me up with a magnet, seriously. So far it hasn't completely stopped up my lower digestive system, but I've taken only two doses so I don't consider myself homefree yet.

Taking the iron supplement is tricky, because calcium interferes with iron absorption (and vice versa), so I need to be sure to put a one-hour milk-consumption cushion on either side of taking an iron pill. Which wouldn't be so bad, if milk were not still the Magic Elixir for me. First thing upon waking: 10 ounces of milk and a square of bittersweet chocolate. Mid-morning snack: a cup of milk. Slight energy drop just before making dinner: another cup or cup and a half of milk. Before bed: you got it - milk. Plus milkshakes two or three times a week (what? it's definitely better than just ice cream on its own!) and cheese as an integra part of at least one meal a day. These kids are going to have the strongest bones ever, with little effect on my own bone density (I hope). But where in that day am I supposed to take my iron??

(Oh, to have such problems. I truly do feel lucky that this is my greatest medical concern at the moment. I only wish it was my greatest concern, overall, but alas I cannot have everything.)

Ah, and the other bit of good news is that Dr. McFly was unexpectedly in the office on Tuesday, so I had my ultrasound right then instead of having to come back the following morning. The kidlets are estimated around two pounds each (I think one was four ounces heavier than the other) with all growth measurements pretty much on target. I think the numbers all came up in the 40s, percentile-wise, for their gestational age. Totally understandable, given the crowded conditions in there.

Labels:

At 5:31 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Penny said...

yay!!! let's keep them inside and get their weight up a little more and i'll be really really happy. good luck with the milk... i'd probably end up with more kidney stones and the thought of labor and kidney stones in close proximity is way too painful for my head to wrap around.

 
At 2:11 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

Sounds like a lot of good news there, Robbie. I'll take an iron pill over GD any day. Is iron the thing that it's good to take with vitamin C? Then you could add a glass of OJ or some tomato soup or something to your iron pill, would that help?

 
At 10:48 AM, November 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man. Iron, plus milk = I'm so sorry about your impending mega constipation. I hope you don't get that. But gah!! My sphincter just flinched a little for you.

 
At 5:58 PM, November 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, flax meal. Mix it into everything throughout the day. It will help move things in your digestive track and has so many other benefits.

Also, what do you eat for breakfast? A serving of oatmeal, especially one sprinkled generously with flax meal, at the same time every morning will help you from getting backed up. Oatmeal as well has so many other benefits.

A small glass of orange juice for the low energy before preparing dinner instead of milk and taking the iron supplement then with all that vitamin C sounds like your best option given what you describe.

 

Speak up!

<< Home