Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

I have another (totally routine) OB appointment today. This is the appointment where we do the one-hour glucose tolerance screening. I am quite relieved that my doctor is of the "yo don't bother fasting for this test" school of thought, because - really, you don't want to know what will happen if I go for that may hours without eating.

Anyway, they handed me a bottle of lightly-carbonated, orange-soda-flavored "50g Glucose Tollerance Beverage" at my last appointment, along with an instruction sheet directing me to begin drinking about 45 minues before my expected arrival (check) and finish the entire 10 oz bottle within ten minutes (one last swig...ugh...check). I was mildly amused to find a big fat OU on the front of the bottle; I remembered hearing a while ago that GluCola was certified kosher, but I didn't expect the symbol to be so...prominent.

Man, this stuff tastes nasty. And I've been assured that the orange one is the better-tasting flavor. I can't even have a glass of water to wash down the nasty aftertaste. One thing I will say, though: the sugar rush has totally woken up both of the kidlets, at least one of whom has mistaken my lower ribcage for a xylophone. Pity I don't have an ultrasound today, as I'm sure it would have been quite a show.

Also: banana.

Labels:

At 3:08 PM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Wow, it was sounding great compared to what they give you here - 50g of glucose diluted in warm water in a plastic cup, until you said it was nasty... I wised-up & brought my own lemon. Here they make you drink it in the lab, with someone watching (lest you fake your test...) I had the pleasure of doing the 50 which came out a borderline negative, later the 100g (where they draw blood 4x) which came out positive (just a few months too late) and then topped it off with the 75g - 2-hour test...

Hope your results are good!

 
At 3:21 PM, November 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laugh, because I can so sympathize the whole xyolphone thing. Mine has been using my rib as its own personal monkey bar for like, 4 days now.

Good luck on the test. I'm so not looking forward to mine.

 
At 4:53 PM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah my little man bounced all over too after that sugar rush. His heartbeat is usually 140 and by the time I got into the doctor an hour later it was around 160 and he was doing a jig!!

 
At 7:26 PM, November 07, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

Hey, I had my glucose test today too! I had to chug mine at the doctor's office while they watched (and then sit there for an hour...)--man, that stuff is GROSS. But talk about sugar rush--when I lifted my shirt for the ultrasound, you could see the little protrusions of baby tapdancing in there.

PS Blogger Beta hates me.

 
At 9:10 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger miriamp said...

For the longest time, I could no longer tolerate normal orange soda, because it reminded me too much of that cr*** umm, stuff. But Baruch Hashem that they let you do the no fasting kind!

(Don't worry for others, with the fasting one they schedule for first thing in the morning. No pregnant lady can fast that long and still function normally, never mind also deal with the sugar rush and still manage to get into the office! It still ranks up there as one of the Worst Experiences Of My Life (TM) though. So glad my current practice does no fasting ones.)

Oh, and welcome back and all that.

 
At 9:09 AM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, banana.

It is so nice that you've been updating again.

I do not understand why something more natural is not used for this test. If this disgusting beverage can be processed and standardized to a particular amount of glucose, I am certain apple juice can be processed and standardized to a particular amount of fructose. A larger single-serving size bottle of apple juice contains around 50 grams of sugars; these sugars aren't glucose, but in this form they are just about as readily available and are pretty fast-acting. The test could have been developed around that type of product instead.

I also do not understand looking at fasting tests alone. Sure, if the results of fasting tests are high, it is known that something is wrong. If, however, the results are normal, they are inconclusive results; an elevated blood sugar level from the last meal before fasting has all night to try to work itself out. Too many hours beyond without any additional food especially if spent being active and excess water often taken in to help with the fast will result in lowering levels as well. Fasting levels can appear normal in less severe cases. Looking at only fasting test levels is silly; though such tests are helpful as part of getting a larger picture, checking them alone is not always conclusive and is certainly not the way to go when a problem is known and needs to be regulated throughout the day.

Did your doctor actually say "yo," or is that your embellishment?

Good Shabbos.

 
At 10:46 AM, November 10, 2006, Blogger miriamp said...

I actually have heard of jelly beans being used instead, wish I had that kind of doctor!

But anyway, anonymous, I'm sure the 1-hr (fasting or non-fasting) glucose INtolerance test doesn't actually prove much. If there's a real problem, hopefully you have a clue far enough in advance to actually test for it properly and sooner than 26 weeks! (Actually, my sister's OB does this test twice, once much earlier in the pregnancy.)

 
At 11:05 AM, November 10, 2006, Blogger x said...

I am glad to hear that the test wasn't too bad. I wonder if I have to do that? I don't even see my OB until I'm 26 weeks.

 
At 4:49 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Did your doctor actually say "yo," or is that your embellishment?

Ha! No - that was just a typo!

 

Speak up!

<< Home