Sunday, January 22, 2006

...and yet, still I dream

So, I stumbled across julie's musings on having another child, and reading through the comments from infertiles (including those who are now parents) got me thinking about just how damn hopeful and naive I still am.

In my mind, I am not willing to compromise on the number of children we'll have. There's a minimum of two, and ideal of three, a maximum of four, and that's it.

Two daughters preferred, but having at least one daughter is not negotiable.

Hell, I'm not even willing to compromise on birth order. I desperately want a girl first, for some pretty silly reasons. I want to name a child after my mother, I want to actually use her name instead of trying to come up with a passable boy's name, and I'm not willing to risk having boy after boy and naming them all after other people. Male infant circumcision (a must-do for us - and I'm just not in the mood for the debate today, so if you've come here to preach, get lost) scares the crap out of me and I'd rather not add that trauma into the usual first-child emotional mess if I can avoid it. Also, I want a daughter, and I want one first, just...becuase. Because I said so, and I want it, and why the hell can't things go my way for once.

(I want the world! I want the whole world! I want to lock it all up in my pocket...I want the works, I want the whole works! Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises...)

I'm sure this makes me an outcast in the IF world. I wouldn't be surprised if people coming to OOS for the first time, and reading this post, decide never to visit again, and possibly even to blacklist me. However, I remain unapologetic. I'm not going to insist that I'll never change my mind...I'm sure as my journey goes on I'm come to realize that the health and mere existence of my potential child rates far above that child's sex. Despite that, I'm not going to be dishonest. These are my dreams now, today, at this very moment. I don't want to lie. And I don't want to forget.

At 9:52 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{HUG}}

 
At 4:37 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the implicit message the world gives to infertiles is "beggars can't be choosers." I hate that. Why is it that we are not allowed to dream and hope for the type of family that we want?

 
At 8:44 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey RB, I've been reading and enjoying your blog and can identify with a lot of it. (I'm also near the beginning of this IF jungle and I wish you luck!) I think your dreams are not very greedy at all, and there's no reason to change the gender ones at this point. For myself, I found that once I dropped my plans of how many kids I was having (and how many years I'd put between each of them; my dreams were pretty specific), it made me less stressed. In the first few months, each time I didn't get pregnant I'd start worrying about how old I was going to be when I had kids 2,3, and 4. Now that I decided that I will be happy with a smaller number of children, all I have to worry about is having kid #1, which is a little easier on me. You should do whatever makes YOU feel better.

 
At 9:09 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

Oh I want a girl. I'm starting to give up on my hopes of three, but still worry that I'll only be able to have one (ha! One would be wonderful at this point). And I think I will want to find out the gender at 20 weeks so that I can get over the disappointment if it's a boy before it's born. So no, you are not wierd. We're allowed our dreams, it's just that our dreams involve a lot of torture.

 
At 12:28 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting - while I always wanted a girl (at least one), it never occurred to me that I might have problems having one, so I desperately wanted a boy first.

Sounds crazy, right? but being a girl and the oldest, having friends who were also, but from much larger families, I didn't want her to have the pressure of being the oldest, AND named for my mom (and a grandmother on the other side), etc. So for her sake I wanted her second born.

B"H I got what I wanted - I hope you do too.

 
At 3:03 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical woman - wants the world ... (go ahead and hate me, I'm used to it).

 
At 3:53 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

How can I hate you, anonymous if I don't even know who you are? Undirected hatred is such a waste of energy...

 
At 4:35 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

Ooh, a troll! No blog worth its salt can be without the occasional troll's visit.
Just remember not to feed them.

You've been forced to give up on a number of dreams already, why let go of any more before you really have to.

 
At 4:43 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

But...but...I want a pet troll! I'll keep it in a cage and clean its litterbox (but not when I might be pregnant, of course) and feed it (but not too often) and train it to be the bestest troll ever.

Oh, wait a minute...

(Actually, trolls don't bother me. yet. I get kind of a perverse pleasure from messing with them. Also, I'm not sure whether anon is a troll, or just has a really sarcastic sense of humor.)

 
At 9:22 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a girl too!

Curious, is a son non-negotiable too? You specified two daughters preferable but you didn't mention four! Then you could skip the circ altogether.

 
At 9:25 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:53 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Personally, I think I'd be ok with having only daughters. However, I think Ezra would like a son, so I guess the ideal solution for me would be two girls, on boy. I probably shouldn't be that picky, though.

 

Speak up!

<< Home