Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Loot

Holy crap, I think we're having a couple of babies around here.

Ezra wanted to bow to the superstition of not buying any baby stuff before the babies are born, or at least not having anything at home. I'm not one for superstition, period (in fact, I'm pretty sure that following superstitious practices runs counter to Jewish law, but that's a post for another day), but for much of the pregnancy I didn't argue. He agreed to order the car seats, a double Snap-N-Go, and a co-sleeper far enough ahead of time that we could be sure to have them here before the kids came home. We ordered furniture such that it would be ready by...oh, soon-ish, I think. And I thought I would be content with that compromise, and letting Ezra and his parents stock up on everything else from clothes to wipes to receiving blankets while I was still in the hospital with our day-old kidlets.

Oh, but I did not believe in The Power Of Nesting.

And, really, I'm going to blame it on Ezra's sister, because she talked me through most of my Amazon shopping spree. So by the time the last of the packages arrives later this week, we will have: a dozen side-snap t-shirts (half with long sleeves, half with short), ten receiving blankets, sixteen washcloths, a few hooded towels (those things are expensive, yo), a bunch of burpcloths, and...oh, I can't remember exactly what else. More sheets for the co-sleeper, nail clippers, stuff like that. When he heard I was also ordering some pacifiers and bottles, Ezra knew I'd gone off the deep end. Which is probably why he didn't protest too much...there's no telling what a nesting pregnant woman will do if you ruffle her feathers.

But he's more upset by having the baby stuff around than I realized. So before he gets home from work this evening I will try to get everything packed away into the corner of a not-often-used room (not the room-that-may-have-babies-in-it-soon). And then he doesn't have to see it all and start worrying about how he'll feel if the worst happens and he comes home to pace packed with baby paraphenelia. And I'll peek in on it whenever I want that little lift in my heart that says Chances are, the babies will come home, safe and sound. And soon. And you're going to have to figure out how to adjust the harnesses on those seats.



There's also the homemade loot. I love to cook, but even moreso, I love to eat what I cook. Unfortunately, my urge to spend hours in the kitchen kind of fell away early in pregnancy, and I haven't fully regained it. Still, by doubling recipes and socking away leftovers that would otherwise have had an encore dinner presentation, I managed to fill our freezer with the following homemade foodstuffs:
  • two quarts French onion soup

  • a gallon of vegetaian chili, divided into smaller portions

  • three loaf-pan sized vegetable lasagnas (each is two dinner servings and one lunch)

  • a few pounds of brisket, plus nearly a quart of leftover gravy

  • almost two quarts minestrone

  • three squash kugels (8x8)

  • one yerushalmi kugel (8x8)

  • several smaller portions of broccoli-spinach kugel

  • six cups roasted pureed squash (in case I need to make...more kugel?)

  • three loaves pumpkin bread

  • one raspberry-chocolate pound cake, and

  • eleven loaves of whole wheat challah

There's also about ten pounds of frozen stew meat and an assortment of ready-made foods that found their way onto the shelves. I'm still looking for the partridge and the pear tree; I think they're hiding behind the chili.



Last but not least, I bought myself a little something for the hospital. I'm not entirely sure I'll be covering my hair during labor, but I will definitely want something to wear in the postpartum room, and my usual cotton berets are not the best for sleeping (or even wearing all day while awake, since the roll-brims that do such a good job of keeping them in place can start feeling tight enough to give me a headache). So on the spur of the moment last week I got in touch with Miriam at Heavenward Designs, and within a few days I received this beautiful (and comfortable!) snood in the mail. I'm generally not a snood person, but I'm very excited to wear this one...

Labels: ,

At 9:11 AM, January 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shopping spree sounds like it was loads of fun - but just make sure you don't go SO crazy that you leave nothing useful for anyone to buy you for baby gifts. . . you wouldn't want to disappoint your friends :)

And if your shul is like mine and sends meals for a week or so to families with new babies, your freezer stash may go further than you expect. You could do some more desserts that do single servings well in case you're making a shalom zachor. And if there's no boy, well, you can just eat them, or save for future Shabbat desserts.

 
At 9:44 AM, January 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, leave something for the rest of us who will make the post office figure out a way to deliver a box to "robber barren who blogs here". :)

You amaze me woman. All that shopping and cooking! wow.

And that snood is quite gorgeous. May you all enjoy it in good health.

 
At 2:47 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger electriclady said...

Yum, can I come over for dinner? :)

Don't underestimate the thrill you'll get from sorting and folding and re-folding all those tiny little t-shirts. So impossibly small!

We took the carseat and snap-n-go out of the boxes this weekend and managed to figure out how to put the two of them together. Getting a baby into the carseat and carseat into a car, that's another story.

 
At 3:06 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

OK, first I envy your freezer. Both for having so much food in it and for being able to fit so much food in it... You will really be glad you've done what you have.

It sounds like you had a great time with the shopping spree :-) Enjoy peeking at the packages :-)

 
At 4:05 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger projgen said...

My goodness, how big is your freezer, girl?! That's awesome; that's what I'd love to see in my freezer. If I had the time. Oh yeah, and if I could cook. Ha!

Glad you had fun on the shopping spree; the real fun is unpacking it all and looking at each and every item and liking it all over again.

 
At 5:06 PM, January 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Issues regarding superstitions aside, I feel that this is our tradition and that doing things by our traditions is part of being a people. But you aren't having a baby shower or doing much of anything public, just doing what you seem to need to be doing. More importantly, the tradition makes sense to me with respect to protecting one's emotions in case something goes wrong. If you, however, need the reassurance you describe (the lift in your heart, as you say), then having the items now serves a similar mental-health purpose now. I hope the stowing away in the corner of that room serves both to give you the reassurance and to not upset Ezra.

Thank you for all your recent updates. I hope you'll be continuing. B'sha'ah tovah.

 
At 7:25 PM, January 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

b'shaah tovah and enjoy the nesting! I didn't get to do it since I was on bedrest for 10 weeks prior to my preemie twin C section last Tuesday. My twins are home from the NICU for the second day now and doing really well. Waiting a couple of weeks to figure out their schedule and then I'll probably start doing my nesting! :) Shopping is being done as things are needed at this point. It's been fun to follow your pregnancy along with mine. My twins are now born and I'm excited to hear about yours! -- price613 from atime

 

Speak up!

<< Home