Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Under Pressure

I had a mildly alarming prenatal appointment today: my blood pressure was 132/90 and then 128/96...not the best numbers overall, and particularly not good since my early-pregnancy baseline reading was somewhere around 115/65. So I was sent to the hospital (I had permission to go home and have lunch first) for some bloodwork and a few more blood pressure checks, just to make sure this wasn't a sign of pre-eclampsia. Everything checked out (liver and kidney function normal, normal platelet count, no protein in my urine, and my BP got down to a respectable 127/82), but it still wasn't my ideal way to spend an afternoon.

We also had weight estimates and a lovely vaginal exam at today's appointment. Baby A's weight estimate is about 5 pounds, 9 ounces (37th percentile) and Baby B's is about 5 pounds even (21st percentile), but Dr. McFly said he couldn't get very accurate measurements for that kidlet and so we should take the number "with a whole shaker full of salt." Both kidlets responded as desired during monitoring. And that lovely vaginal exam (really, why do they hrt so much during pregnancy? Youch!) revealed that I am about 1.5 cm (maybe a smidge more, but not quite 2 cm) dilated, about 50% effaced, and Baby A's head is "way, way down there." I had my Group B strep swab and should have those results within a few days, so unless I go into labor spontaneously before the weekend, I will be able to avoid unnecessary antibiotics (though, of course, not necessary ones).

Back to the docs on Friday for another blood pressure check...



I'm still taking topic votes on this post...though I think I know what I'm planning to write about first. Consider polling closed at...ooooh...9:30 AM Eastern Time on Wednesday? That's tomorrow, people!

Labels: ,

At 11:01 AM, January 10, 2007, Blogger EJW said...

Be careful with the hypertension/pre-eclampsis. I never thought it would happen to me and while it all ended well, there were some scary moments.

I hope it was just a fluke high BP day and that you keep cooking those kids a bit longer!

 
At 12:11 PM, January 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5lbs?! B"H!!! I hope that it was a weird bp incident and the kidlets stay inside a bit longer. YAY!

 
At 1:21 PM, January 10, 2007, Blogger x said...

For some reason I can't see the quiz. I'm glad there wasn't a problem with the blood pressure. It sounds like it won't be long before your posting baby pictures!

 
At 3:05 PM, January 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the 5 lb range now seems rather impressive to *me*, but I guess it's all relative. *I* was born at 37 weeks, at a weight of 4 lb 11 oz. :)

You think calming thoughts, and I'll think "stay put" thoughts at your kidlets.

As far as the "quiz" - can we eventually get all of them? Maybe one or two a week? That should keep you distracted for a while :)

 
At 7:43 PM, January 10, 2007, Blogger electriclady said...

Why Robbie, what big babies you have! Very impressive. :)

Hope the BP was just a fluke and everything behaves from now on. Would it help if we all chanted, "JUST RELAX!"? [ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes]

 
At 12:57 AM, April 17, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Speak up!

<< Home