Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cautious Optimism

Unofficial ultrasound results from this morning: three measurable follicles on my right ovary, of 14 mm, 12.5 mm, and 12 mm; two follicles on my left ovary of just under 12 mm.

Official results, per Nurse Space Cadet a few minutes ago: two measurable follicles (she didn't say which side, but I assume the right), sized at 14.2 mm and 12.75 mm.

Estradiol is up to 504. Woo!

We are dialing down the Follistim for tonight, to 50 units, in order to minimize the risk of causing too many follicles to mature all at once. I'm back in for an ultrasound and blood draw tomorrow morning (my poor veins!), with a coveted 7 AM appointment. This is screening number eight for this cycle, for those of you playing along at home.



Nurse Spacey says that a Monday ovulation & IUI is pretty much an impossibility for this cycle. Unless the follies have grown a whole lot by tomorrow morning (that is, large enough to trigger, which is highly unlikely), a Friday ovulation & IUI is also out of the question. I've decided that, on balance, it's more important to be there for my friends on Sunday, and to not drive ourselves crazy with stress, so we won't be doing an IUI Sunday morning if I trigger on Friday. We will, however, be doing other things, which are probably a lot more fun.

Thank you all for your input on this decision; it really was helpful. I'm still less than thrilled with our choice, as I'd like to think we're doing everything to maximize our chances this cycle...but neither option is particularly good, so we're just going for the less-bad one.

(Tangentally - obviously we'll ask Rabbi Spock before proceeding with this, but does anyone have any insight into whether I'd be allowed to go in for a beta blood draw on Shavuot? Or, also tangentally, how early one can do a home test after an HCG shot?)



I also appreciate all of your thoughts so far on the other issue. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to do (though moving the blog is not very likely), so keep them coming, please!

Labels:

At 2:17 PM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. You might be one of those urban legends that has a baby from having sex!!

 
At 3:20 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger EJW said...

Given your freshly cleared tubes and all those lovely follicles (btw- you counted 5 but the nurse said 2? where did the other 3 go?), I think the old fashioned way could be your ticket.

 
At 3:34 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Two of the five were below official measurable size - I think the tech was just telling me about them to make me feel better. As for the 12 mm one on the right, I assume it was borderline, and Dr. Q decided to discount it.

 
At 3:39 PM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping Statia's right and you become an urban legend ;-) I hope that your timing works perfectly for this cycle. Great news about the follicles and E2 level!

 
At 5:01 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger persephone said...

Now thaaaaaat's more like it. I guess they liked being yelled at?

I would guess that you can't have a beta done on Shavuot... you might be able to talk your clinic into doing one at 12dpo, though.

As for a hpt, it depends whether they give you a 5,000 or 10,000 dose of hcg. I think you're supposed to allow something like 1 day per 1000 units? And it can vary a little based on your metabolism, too.

 
At 10:58 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger projgen said...

Well, it's about time, follies! Have fun doing those um, other things (I really have no idea what you're talking about, because my biology book says the only way to make a baby is with ICSI. That other stuff is just an old wive's tale.)

 

Speak up!

<< Home