Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Quick Draw

Wow, I'm just full of bloggity goodness today, aren't I? To recap: I had six measurable follicles this morning (one of mature size), I never did find out my estradiol level for today, and a couple of hours ago I shot up my belly with some yummy, yummy Ovidrel. And, wow, that needle is a tad bigger than the Follistim pen tips (though I recognize that if I ever move on to progesterone-in-oil shots, this will seem like a pinprick by comparison). I mean, it wasn't huge or anything, but I actually felt it punching a tiny hole in my skin, whereas with the Follistim tips I could almost pretend the thing was slipping in between the skin cells.

Yes, lovely, I know.

I called the groom to let him know the Sunday concerns are moot, and he encouraged me to tell the bride directly. So then I dialed her up on my way home and told her. She responded with total honesty: she was quite relieved, because she didn't want to tell me to not do what I needed to do to ge pregnant, but on the other hand I had promised to be there... And then I could hear her family (or at least her mom) in the background cheering me on, which was nice, in a weird "I'm not really all that close to you but I know you care" sort of way.



Ezra and I discussed (again, I think) what to do about pregnancy test results, when we get to that point. As I've mentioned before, it just doesn't sit right with me to know that some of our "real-life friends" (those who read this blog, I mean) would find out about a pregnancy before our parents. But we also don't plan to tell our parent right away...more like a few weeks in, I think. But I don't want to not post here, since I think the support I'd receive through any kind of troubling symptoms or bad news would be invaluable. So...what to do? (I know you guys don't have the answers. I'm just babbling again.)



IUI Friday. In anticipation of my first-ever 2ww, tonight I am sipping my last drink for a while. Let's hope it's the better part of a year, instead of only half a month.

Labels:

At 9:30 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger miriamp said...

Write the posts, don't publish them, and then make your commenters subscribe to a sort of email list to actually read them? Then the lurkers are out of luck, and anyone who asks that you don't want to tell could have a nicely worded, "sorry, you'll have to wait x number of weeks to find out" response? Then after x number of weeks, you go back and post those posts, making them public again?

Just a thought. And maybe too much work for you, but maybe it would solve the problem. You wouldn't actually have to move the blog, just keep it email only for those x weeks.

 
At 9:43 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

I get 70-100 visitors per day. I'm pretty sure that most of them are not people I know IRL...and, to be honest (what? was I lying before?) in this sort of setting it's pretty important to me to have the facts all hanging out there so that the maximum number of other IF women can help me along. What I really want to do is find a way to screen out cerain readers, but unfortunately there is no good solution for that.

On the other hand - do I really care? More for me to think about, I guess.

 
At 10:09 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger art-sweet said...

I wish I had not told so many IRL people that my partner was pregnant.

Because now she's not. And I feel like I'm letting them all down.

I guess that's not a very positive comment to leave prior to your IUI. But it's my perspective on telling not telling right now.

I hope this works for you and sticks, sticks, sticks.

I would wait until after shabbos to get a beta. That way you will get to savor the anticipation a little bit longer before finding out the results. Just my 2cents

 
At 8:23 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger EJW said...

I don't have a good answer on the real life readers thing (maybe password protect for a bit?), but I wanted to say: here's to abstinence for the rest of 2006!

 
At 8:35 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

EJW - my very first thought there was: Why the hell would I want to forgo sex all year?

 
At 12:02 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

Whoa, what an exciting Wednesday! Good luck tomorrow!

I don't have a good answer to the IRL people question either...I would say set up a sister blog, but I do understand the wanting as many people as possible to be there to hold your hand, and not wanting to screen any of the helpful people out.

 
At 12:31 PM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so that explains why the bride simply repeated to you the fact of when the pictures start. It seemed that she was being firm and insistent on when they start, meaning when you must be there, but in fact it turns out, it seems, that she felt all she could do was tell you the schedule, and not in fact tell you that you must be there nor that you must miss it for the IUI, because of her conflicting feelings. A good friend, a mindful bride, to simply tell you what you needed to know and not interfere.

I'm confused, however, at first it seemed like there weren't enough mature follicles, and now suddenly there's a high risk of multiples? Is it because of the timing?

Is it that you feel funny about any real-life people knowing before family, or only that you are afraid they might tell? I'm guessing the former. If the latter, well, there's no way to police it, but maybe the IRL people would just have to not tell what they learn. If the former, may I offer that there are always people who know/are told before family. Obviously, the medical staff, sometimes a friend in whom you confide for the same reasons you want people here to know, so that you have support and resources for your questions. Perhaps if you think of it as the people who know do only for your own benefit and well-being rather than that you announced your happy news to other people before your family, that might help.

I hope that made sense.

Your friends the bride and groom will probably want to know how it went, though.

Best of luck!

 
At 1:03 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

I'm confused, however, at first it seemed like there weren't enough mature follicles, and now suddenly there's a high risk of multiples? Is it because of the timing?

Anon, I think - and we'll have to check with Dr. Q on this next week - that the issue is that there were a bunch of follicles all around 14 mm, which were about 24-48 hours away from a triggerable 16 mm. There was no way to get just one of those 14 mm babes...so instead I triggered on the earlier side with just the one 16 mm, and we're hoping that maybe one of the previously 14 mm follicles grows and releases an egg and the others just stay put (or release immature eggs that won't fertilize).

I dont' think that really explained anything, though...

Also, your thoughts on posting pregnancy test updates here give me something to think about. Thanks.

 
At 1:07 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Holy crap, you had quite a busy day yesterday, didn't you? I can't tell you how excited I am for you!

Best of luck with the IUI!

 
At 4:21 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

I missed all the commotion of the previous days. How did that happen?

Fingers crossed for this cycle!

 
At 5:50 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger projgen said...

lol - abstinence :) I thought sex, too. It took me awhile to get used to that punching feeling/noise of the needles (Gonal f does the same thing).

Good luck tomorrow! It doesn't seem fair that just when you *need* a glass (or 8) of wine (during the 2ww), you can't have it. Yes, indeed - here's to abstinence!

 
At 3:22 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I so wanted to shout it from the rooftops when we found out two weeks ago, HOWEVER, right before that I had found out about some lurkers from my office who may, or may not be reading. So, I have had to keep quiet on my blog and it is killing me!! I would say do what feels right to you.

 

Speak up!

<< Home