Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kick Me

Today after work I went to get my hair cut. Somehow the shampooist and I got onto the topic of shared household duties in a marriage. It wasn't the best conversation ever, especially since I don't feel very chatty when my head is back over a sink, but I managed to keep it going. Then she piped up with: "So, do you have any kids?"

Oh, that's not the worst of it. See, the rest of the conversation went like this:
Shampooist: So, do you have any kids?
Robbie: (quietly, politely) No.
Shampooist: Oh, that's good.
Robbie: [stunned silence]
Shampooist: When I get married, I'm totally not going to have kids right away. I want to have a long time to just enjoy being married, y'know?
Robbie: (in her head) ohpleasephpleaseohplease just rinse out the damn conditioner already and let me leave
Robbie: (out loud) Uh-huh.



We are now having second thoughts on this IUI vs. on-time-for-wedding-pictures thing. It's enough to make me hope that I trigger Thursday and ovulate on Shabbat, since at this point that's an easier decision to make (no IUI). I've considered calling the groom and/or the bride's sister to ask for their sense on what the bride would say. Because, truth be told, if it were my wedding and she were in this situation, I'd tell her to get her feet into the stirups pronto and to stay there until the sperm were all happily ensconsed in her uterus. And I'd be right pissed to find out she'd skipped an IUI and not told me about it. At least, I like to think I would.

Labels: , ,

At 9:43 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger DD said...

I hear that conversation quite often. I'm torn between telling them to get on the babytrain asap; and thinking they'll figure it out on their own that it's not always easy as it looks and they'll pay for their folly.

You should have snapped her with your towel when her back was turned.

 
At 11:03 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger projgen said...

Ugh, I can so relate. So sorry you had to deal with that. I like dd's towel-snapping suggestion...

As for the wedding, I have to say, I've kept my mouth shut, but if I were the bride, I'd want you to go for the IUI. I'd be pretty pissed at you for putting me first (and touched, but still pissed). It's not like you have an appointment with the world's greatest hairstylist that you've waited 5 years to get, that you'd be missing. Anyway, my assvice - talk to the bride and 'splain. Then go for the IUI.

 
At 11:38 PM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so been there...why is it when we least expect it, we get slammed with these senseless questions? And when you're in a vulnerable position no less, at her mercy, head under the faucet! Somehow knowing that she was clueless vs malicioius still doesn't make it better.

 
At 12:00 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger electriclady said...

Man, people are dumb. Unintentionally dumb, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I think asking the groom or the bride's sister for input is a smart idea. Hopefully they'll tell you to go for it.

 

Speak up!

<< Home