Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Faking It

That's it. I suck. I just faked an orgasm being happy to hear about a friend's pregnancy. Not even to the friend, but to a friend of the friend, through Ezra.

So much for not being resentful.

At 12:50 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i could say something helpful. while we don't yet know if, despite the monthly cycles, i'm fertile and capable of carrying despite what my gyn says [yes, just crooked uterus, no problems] or not (all those years of birth control..) i really wish i could say or do something that would help. except that I've been there. and I've done that. and now i receive pictures of the children (the newborns, once they start walking and talking it isn't so hard) and have to gush over them. thankfully they keep doing this to me over email. I think I would ask for a hole to swallow me if i had to do it in person or over a voice connection of some sort.

yes, i'm currently choosing this route, but that choice doesn't uncomplicate my thoughts when i hear of easy pregnacies/timely marriages/full-term births ... hmm.

 
At 2:26 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much easier to fake an orgasm than pretend to be happy about someone else's pregnancy.

Please pray for me to get through this shabbos when I have guests who have a new baby. Ugh ugh ugh. Help.

 
At 7:51 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think people without fertility issues can understand how you're feeling right now at all. Don't hold yourself to a standard you made up a year ago - the person you were then didn't know what she was talking about. (No offense to her!)I've started to come to peace with the fact that I will feel sad, lonely, jealous, etc. when I hear about other people's reproductive successes. I do remind myself, though, that as much as other people's pregnancies and births make me sad, what other choice is there? Other people's infertility and miscarriages make me even sadder.

 
At 10:01 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, stupid question:

while I can understand feeling "obligated" to sound happy, and while I can totally understand not truly being happy about someone else's news, what would you suggest?

Is there any way for the news to be shared that would be less painful? Would not being told be any better? Email instead of "isn't this exciting!" in person? Because I've seen too many posts of how "soon by you" doesn't generally get taken well, and being cut out of the loop feels like abandonment.

 
At 11:18 AM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Robber Barren said...

LC - I actually think that what happened was pretty close to perfect - a friend of the pregnant person in question letting us know over email/IM, we acknowledge it and move on. I don't want to be out of the loop, not at all. I don't even want people to expect me to not appear happy...what I want is to actually be happy, but I don't think I can have that.

wessel - I wouldn't know; I don't fake those. ;) But I'm prayin' for ya...

 
At 1:34 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

The problem is it depends from person to person and from day to day.

I prefer hearing it indirectly. It is more socially acceptable to react somewhat distant or cool towards the gobetween than towards the PG woman or partner.
Hearing it in the privacy of my home is better than in a public place or amongst a group of friends or relatives. Then I don't have to fear a breakdown.
I want all baby pics to be sent to my DH. He can show them to me when he knows I'm okay.

An IF book I read suggests IF women to tell friends and relatives how break the news to them. Of course, this isn't always practicable.

 
At 4:51 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think you suck for that. Given the whole IF thing, I think you're only human to not be happy for someone who is pg. Think we've all been there... probably on many occasions. It does suck.

 
At 9:04 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger miriamp said...

H*ll, I've been not happy for myself upon learning I was pregnant. (You can hate me now. I got over it pretty quickly, though, my problem was with timing, not the pregnancy itself.)

As an online friend of mine said, if I knew that if I stopped having babies right now, an infertile woman could have one instead, I would! But sadly, it wouldn't help. So I'll try to keep in mind your advice on sharing the news.

Does it help to not be told until the third trimester anyway, so the baby comes pretty quickly after you know about the pregnancy?

 
At 9:15 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger chris said...

I would really prefer it if the fertiles around me just refrained from getting pregnant at all. I guess that doesn't answer the question "how best to tell." But it would make me feel better.

 
At 11:51 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Rhea said...

Ugh, I've been faking it for several years now. shit.

 
At 2:47 AM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often don't even fake it - particularly at work. Although there is a part of me that IS happy for them. Just a bigger part of me that is sad for me.

 

Speak up!

<< Home